Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beals Point Trail Run Race

I ran the Folsom Lake Trail Run Series today and the race went better than what I anticipated. I have been slacking on my training and didn't think that I was honestly going to be able to finish 11.5 miles.
This morning I woke up at 6am and it took me 30 minutes to get out of bed...that's what happens when I go to bed too late! So I got out of bed around 6:30 and got ready. My pre-race meal was 1/2 cup of oat meal with 1/2 cup of soy milk. Then I added a handful of mixed raisins and a spoon full of Nuttzo .
So i get to the race and I am on the volunteer staff to help with set up and take down. I get there about 7:15am and let me tell you it was cold! However, I was prepared and wore tons of layers to solve that problem.
After helping with set up, registration and anything else that was asked of me it was about time to start. Now it's 9am and for some reason I am a little nervous. I was more nervous for this race than I was for my marathon I did back in 2008 (kinda odd).
Off we go and the race began! We go around the first corner and I was surprised to see my boyfriend Mark there! He came out to support and cheer me on! How awesome is that :) Super stocked to see him!
I started off with a moderate pace, so I didn't burn myself out. For those who were running the long course we had to follow the pink, orange and blue ribbon and then reverse on the way back! That was simple and from what I heard no one go lost this time.
I was about three miles into the race and the course veers to the left up these hills which are known as the three bitches! At that point my mind was telling me walk up them, but I had to remind myself I have been here before! Almost everyone walks them and I told myself run up these hills. I get to the top and I am out of breath!! :)) LOL lucky me and I look ahead and it's all down hill for about 1/2 mile.
Everything was going well and I hit the turn around mark... I started to notice at mile 7 that I was compensating my right ankle with my left leg. My left calf muscle was starting to get sore. At this point I had to start telling myself "right leg" "right leg" over and over again. The problem was not pain related it was the fact that my mind has been used to compensating for my ankle. Once I started doing that I notice how I began to use my right leg.... Amazing how powerful the mind is in any sport you do.
When I was about 1 mile away from the finish line I started to pick up my pace. Once I could see the finish line I gave it all I got. I finished the 11.5 miles in 1:45, which was better than I thought I would do. I felt accomplished and proud that I did it!! Immediately after I finished the race my boyfriend Mark had an recovery drink ready for me! Thanks babe I really needed that :))
Overall the race went well! I did not have any other issues other than over compensating for my right ankle. I was supper stocked that I finished it and did not have side aches or pain. Hope the rest of my races are like this.. Ha ha ha only if.. they are all so different!
Good luck on your running adventures and remember you can do anything that you put your mind to!

3 comments:

  1. Yay, what a great race recap! Totally love the power of your thinking and the fact that the BF was there for you in such a big way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you.. Me too! Was glad to have the support

    ReplyDelete