Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resting = Discipline

Okay... How many of you don't like to take days off or miss a work out? Well your not alone!
Yesterday, when I woke up I had a sore throat and my body was aching. I knew from those signs that I was getting a cold. I was supposed to run 90 mins and I knew if I did I would not get better. It took everything in me not to go run yesterday and my boyfriend heard a lot of bitching...
It was my second day off in a row and I felt like shit! All I could think about it how bad I wanted to something... run/yoga/weights/swim... But I finally gave up when it was 4:30pm and started to get dark. Then the excuse was not enough light instead of my feeling lazy.
What I realized through yesterdays experience was the importance of rest and discipline. It took everything in me, even though I felt like crap, to not go do my workout. Your body needs rest to recover even if your sick or if you as supposed to have a day off. It is one of the hardest things to grasp onto as an athlete. I like to see and feel the results right away and that's not the case in my citation. I need to work on allowing my body to rest when it needs it and that takes discipline.
I woke up today and feel 10 times better. I realized that if I did not give my body the rest it needed I would feel worse today and probably be out for 5 days.
So, to all of you athletes out there (especially those who are new at) this listen to your body and make sure to rest. It is key to your recovery and training. I have learned the hard way through over running, which then I tore a tendon and had to get surgery over a year ago. Don't make the same mistakes I did and always remember listen to your body. Your ego or whatever it is may get in the way, but tune into your body and really think about whats going on.
Discipline! Rest! Discipline!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, so true! I am taking the day off today for the same reason - stuffy head, sore throat, fever . . . All the while my trainer is down in the basement calling to me . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and rest and recovery is vital! Good luck with the training and let us know how we can help! SportsMD.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had a trainer I would have been on it in a heart beat!
    Thanks Sportsmd and I am sure to have questions along my journey! Will keep you in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just experienced this unfortunate sickness and going practically insane not running or riding my bike...and also trying to get over a hip injury. I too have officially learned the hard way, boy do I wish I had listened to my body lol.

    Great blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete